A pipe failure in the refrigeration system caused the ammonia leak that resulted in a potato-processing plant evacuation Tuesday and 11 people being treated by medics, the Boardman fire chief said.
The incident occurred at around 9.30 pm tuesday in the Conagra Foods/Lamb Weston plant in Boardman (Oregon). Boardman Emergency services and a hazardous-materials response unit from Hermiston Fire and Emergency Services also responded.
Seven of the 11 who were feeling ill were treated at Good Shepherd Hospital in Hermiston. The patients complained of varying degrees of respiratory distress and nausea. All have been released from he hospital.
Plant personnel contained the leak and the scene was cleared by midnight Tuesday.