Finally, Canadians have an alternative to the traditional tortilla chip – a chip designed for thicker dips. Now available in Canada, Tostitos Rolls! tortilla chips are mini corn tortillas that are rolled into bite-sized chips which give them layers of support that can handle the weight of thicker dips.
Did you break a chip in a dip?If you've broken a tortilla chip in a delicious, hearty dip, you're in good company: almost three-quarters (73%) of Canadians say they have broken a chip in a bowl of dip* which has seen the Recon Chip rise in popularity.
What's a Recon Chip, you ask?
A Recon Chip is a second chip used to rescue broken chip bits from dip.
But this can be a risky manoeuvre as Recon Chips have been known to break as well leaving two abandoned pieces getting soggy in the party dip – at which point, you're likely to walk away denying any accountability…!
"Chip and dip lovers can now say goodbye to failed attempts at salvaging what remains of a broken chip in their favourite thick dip," says Susan Irving, Senior Director Core Brands, PepsiCo Foods Canada. "Since 56% of Canadians find broken chips in dip off-putting you can ensure your next gathering not only leaves a good taste in everyone's mouth, but also no broken chips in your dip!"
Canadians are passionate when it comes to chips and dip (based on an online survey of 1579 Canadians completed online in August using Leger's online panel):
- 75% would prefer to eat a heartier chip that doesn't break in dip
- 70% of Canadians have sent in a Recon Chip
- 71% believe it is bad manners to leave broken chips in party dips
- 51% of Canadians would avoid a dip at a party if it had broken chips in it
Chip and Dip Etiquette
Want to ensure your chip and dip decorum is up to snuff? Etiquette specialist Julie Blais Comeau, one of Canada's most recognized etiquette experts and founder of etiquettejulie.com, suggests the following:
- When serving a thick, cheesy dip, pair it with a chip like new Tostitos Rolls! tortilla chips to avoid needing to deploy a Recon Chip. Tostitos Rolls! tortilla chips rolled-up shape is perfect for thicker dips and the unique crunch is sure to please even the pickiest of chip dippers.
- One dip per chip, please! Double-dipping at a social gathering is a big no-no.
- The Flip Dip, turning a chip around to use the other end to dip, is only permitted with family and close friends.
- Pinkie up or down? Dip or dunk with pinkie down.
So say #SoLongRecon chip and grab a bag of new Tostitos Rolls! tortilla chips today. They're available at grocery retailers nationwide at a suggest retail price of $3.49 for a 280g bag.