Advanced Search
Only of the type(s)
Language
    [node:title]
    Frito-Lay Canada, a division of PepsiCo Canada, is investing more than $2 million in its New Minas (Nova Scotia) operations to upgrade production equipment and make the facility more environmentally sustainable.

    Frito Lay Canada's New Minas facility is a major employer in the region with about 140 full-time and hourly employees. The province, through Nova Scotia Business Inc. (NSBI), is supporting the company and its upgrades with a five-year payroll rebate of up to $500,000.

    Service Nova Scotia and Municipal Relations Minister Ramona Jennex, on behalf of Economic and Rural Development Minister Percy Paris, made the announcement today, Aug. 9, along with Pat Ryan, vice president and chief operating officer of NSBI.

    "Frito Lay Canada's New Minas plant is an example of the positive investments companies are making on the ground here in Nova Scotia,"said Ms. Jennex. "As part of government's ongoing focus on supporting good jobs and growing the economy, we're proud to be a partner with Frito Lay Canada's focus on quality and sustainability."

    Frito Lay New Minas was recently recognized as the first Canadian facility to send less than one per cent of its waste to landfills. This latest investment in the Nova Scotia operation will further support the plant's environmental journey by reducing energy and water consumption during manufacturing processes, while boosting efficiency and maintaining high-quality product standards.

    "This investment is good news for the plant. We will use it to upgrade our equipment to ensure we're delivering the highest-quality products that are manufactured in an environmentally sustainable facility,"said Anne-Marie Renaud, vice-president of operations for Frito Lay Canada. "We're proud of our long history in Nova Scotia and thank the province for its support."

    Nova Scotia is home to one of Frito Lay Canada's five manufacturing facilities.

    The New Minas plant manufactures a number of Frito Lay Canada products for retail and foodservice customers in Eastern Canada including Lay's and Ruffles potato chips.

    Frito Lay Canada is committed to supporting local farmers. About 30 per cent of the New Minas plant's supply of potatoes is from the community, and the remaining 70 per cent is shipped from Prince Edward Island.
    Help