Mikesell’s Snack Food Company is recalling all sizes of its Honey Barbecue Potato Chips due to mislabeling of gluten free claim.
It has come to our attention that our Honey BBQ Potato Chips are mislabeled in regards to the “Gluten Free” claim on the front of the package based on proposed industry standards.
The recalled units were distributed to various grocery and convenience stores in Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky and Central Illinois between November 5, 2012 and March 5 2013.
No other products are involved.
Gluten intolerant persons may experience the following problems associated with gluten:
- Weight loss or weight gain
- Nutrition deficiencies due to mal-absorption, e.g. low iron levels
- Gastro-intestinal problems (bloating, pain, gas, constipation, diarrhea)
- Fat in the stools (due to poor digestion)
- Aching joints
- Irritability and behavioral changes
- Infertility, irregular menstrual cycle and miscarriage
- Cramps, tingling and numbness
- Slow infant and child growth
- Decline in dental health
The mislabeled product can be identified as follows: Mikesell’s Honey Barbecue Potato Chips;
- 1 oz. UPC code: 0-71104-10171-9
- 2 oz. UPC code: 0-71104-40170-3
- 6 oz. UPC code: 0-71104-60152-3
- 10 oz. UPC code: 0-71104-50176-2
- 16 oz. UPC code: 0-71104-10154-5
The company has received two (2) reports of adverse reactions or illnesses due to the consumption of this product. Both complaints were associated with gluten-related gastro-intestinal problems.
For Honey Barbecue Potato Chips with a sell-by date on or before May 21 actions are in place to correct the packaging label. However, if you note packages within this time frame that have not been corrected, please be aware that these items do contain gluten and should be removed from sale. Honey Barbecue Potato Chips sell by date after May 21 are reformulated to be gluten free.
The Food and Drug Administration has been notified of this voluntary recall.
Mikesell’s Snack Food Co. is committed to producing safe, quality food products that customers can enjoy at home every day.
Consumers concerned with gluten intolerance may return affected product to the retailer where it was purchased for full refund or call Luke Mapp or David Smith at 800-257-4742 or 937-228-9400 Monday – Friday from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. EST.