For decades, the Netherlands has held a leading position in breeding, growing, trading and processing potatoes.
This position also allows for an unequivocal national potato quotation, the lack of which was increasingly perceived as a shortcoming by the entire potato chain.
Now, the Dutch Potato Industry is introducing PotatoNL, a national potato quotation. The first PotatoNL national potato quotation will start on 14 November 2017
LNCN (Emmeloord quotation commission), NAO (Rotterdam quotation commission), VAVI and ZLTO (Goes quotation commission) recently decided to set up a national potato quotation and they are confident that PotatoNL will be widely accepted.
What, by whom and when are quotations listed?
The PotatoNL quotation is effected after a joint input from the domains of cultivation, marketing and processing.
- Suitable for French Fries Cat.1 (destined for the French Fries industry in the Netherlands, Belgium and Germany)
- Suitable for French Fries Cat.2 (used for other purposes, e.g. traditionally-fried fries, peeling companies, crisps and the export for the processing of fries in other countries, not falling under Cat.1.)
- three groups of potatoes suitable for fries such as Agria, Innovator and Fontane
- Export potatoes
- Oversized seed potatoes
- Graded 40/50 mm French Fries potatoes
- Potatoes for Flakes
- Potatoes intended for Cattle feed
The PotatoNL quotation commission includes 8 members (2 on behalf of the industry, 4 on behalf of the farmers and 2 on behalf of the trade) who – led by an independent chairperson - write down prices twice a week on Tuesday and on Thursday on the basis of that week’s business.
It concerns potatoes grown in the Netherlands from cultivation/trade and cultivation/industry contracts to be delivered within 1 month after signing of the contract.